Here are my top five things to do every day (or every week) to stay mentally healthy:
- Yoga. Yoga is an amazing stress reliever and helps to clear my mind, too. Can’t beat yoga bliss from Sean’s class at Namaste Yoga and Laura’s class at Monkey Yoga. Or simply do what Larry Schultz from my It’s Yoga teacher training calls the “minimum daily requirement” – five Sun Salutation A’s and five Sun Salutation B’s (which fits nicely with the “five-a-day” theme!).
- Getting up without an alarm clock. This has been one of the biggest benefit of working for myself! I feel so much better mentally and physically now that I wake up according to my own rhythms. On those rare occasions when I do have to get up early, I use my BioBrite SunRise Clock.
- Surrounding myself with beauty. One of my core value strings is Beauty / Creativity / Creating Beauty / Style / Inspiration / Self Expression / Uniqueness / Emotions. I feel so much better when I take in the beauty that’s all around me – whether that be admiring nature while I’m walking my dog, reading a touching story, appreciating inspiring artwork or creating art of my own.
- Reflecting on what I am grateful for. This always helps me put things in perspective. I usually include something I’m grateful for when I journal in the morning.
- Reading. Learning and personal growth are also core values of mine. So, I’m always reading a self-help and/or business book and something inspirational and creative.
Now off to yoga class! Namaste.