We’re on week 10 of Jamie Ridler’s Next Chapter book blogging group and this week’s secret is Living in Abundance with Positive Priorities. This is probably one of my favorite chapters of The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women because Gail McMeekin encourages us to relish in doing what we love and who wouldn’t love that?! And my theme for this year is “abundance, ease and organic growth” so it fits right in!
Gail defines Positive Priorities as “life choices that express who we are and what we want for ourselves.” One of the most important decisions I made to honor my positive priorities was quitting my corporate job. At the time I thought I was quite prosperous with my six-figure salary and my never-ending wardrobe thanks to my 50% clothing discount. I was actually fooling myself with material things. I feel more even more prosperous and abundant now because I’m spending my time in ways that are meaningful and enriching to me.
Some of the ways I’ve been practicing my positive priorities include:
- Participating in a weekly intuitive painting class with the delightful Chris Zydel. Yes, it takes a big chunk of my morning AND I know it’s exactly where I need to be giving my creative spirit breathing room.
- Doing some food craving sessions with the wonderful Kara Sorensen to combat my life-long obsession with sugar (Girl Scout cookie season was definitely an impetus for this!)
- Going to yoga classes at least three times a week (five times when I’m feeling really good!)
- Scheduling my housecleaner to come once a month (I’ve learned that it’s so worth the investment so that I can focus on doing what I love and not scrubbing the toilet).
- Treating myself to a massage every once in awhile. I had one on Friday and it was heaven.
Gail also encourages us to tap into the power of gratiude. An attitude of gratitude is so key to prosperity! Here are a couple of gratitude resources:
- I absolutely loooove Carla White‘s Gratitude Journal app for the iPhone! It’s one of my favorite apps. Carla has created a fun and easy way to keep track of all the things that you are thankful for even when you’re on the go. And Carla is also totally cool and inspiring! Here’s a link to her blog.
- Cafe Gratitude is the master of being grateful! Their The Abounding River board game is all about experiencing and celebrating the plenty in your life. I also just started reading their latest book Sacred Commerce: Business as a Path of Awakening and look forward to learning how the owners created such a thriving and positive business.
All of these goodies defintely get my creative juices flowing. What are your positive priorities and how do you practice abundance?